United Kingdom

(England, Schotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)

Individiuals with the Dutch nationality can travel to the UK with simply a valid passport and/or identification card. This passport or ID card must be valid until after you leave the UK.

Western-European citizens do not need a visa to enter into the United Kingdom. Other people, however, may need a visa. Certainly all people with a travel document (refugees) do need a visa. Since the United Kingdom is not a member of the Schengen-Agreement a Schengen-visa is not valid for travelling into the UK. You canot go to the British consulate to apply for a visa.

All travelers in need of a visa for the UK must apply in person at the UK Visa Application Centre in Amsterdam or Düsseldorf.

Procedure: an online application must be completed at in English. When the form is completed you are forwarded to a link in order to make an appointment, either in Amsterdam or in Düsseldorf. This takes about a week. On the settled date (and time) the applicant must go in person to the visa office to complete the application. Then the application will be processed and after c. 3 weeks the passport (with visa) will be sent back to the applicant by courier. When you pay extra for priority service visas can be arranged in a week.

Please note: a visa applications can be refused. If the consular officer is not convinced that the applicant will return to his home country (and might stay illegally in the UK) he will not issue a visa. Visa charges paid in advance (c € 240 per person) will not be refunded.

For any questions you can contact  the consular helpline at T  085 888 4671 (€ 0,80 / minute) or T 0044 1243 213 300 (£ 1.37 per minute, payable by credit-card or debit-card. This helpline supports several languages but not Dutch. You can also send an email via this site:

For people living in Belgium visa applications are processed by the UK Visa Applications Centre in Brussels. Enquiry by telephone is given on T 02 4034 989 or 0044 1243 213 311.

There is one exemption on the visa rules: pupils till 18 years old, when travelling on a school trip, may enter into the UK without a visa, provided there is a list of travelers, signed by the school principal and the IND (Netherlands Immigration Service). These pupils of course also must hold (and show) their  passport or travel document and their residence permit.

This is the official statement from the British Immigration Service:

On 30 November 1994 the EU Council of Ministers agreed a measure to help schools which arrange excursions within the European Union. The Ministers adopted a Joint Action which gives Member States the opportunity to dispense with visa requirements and travel documents for third country national school pupils resident in one Member State who travel to another Member State in a school party from a general education school (i.e. primary and secondary public schools). The United Kingdom has implemented the Joint Action from 1 September 1995 for school groups from other Member States coming to the United Kingdom. 

Article I. School party visits to the United Kingdom 

The school teacher accompanying the group must present to the Immigration Officer at the port of arrival in the United Kingdom a list of all the schoolchildren he/she is escorting completed by his/her school in a common format (List of Travelers) which identifies all the children in the group and explains the purpose of the journey. 

Each child must carry a valid national travel document
- for EU-nationals a national identity card, i.e. issued by the national authorities (for example: for an Italian national this means an identity card issued by the Italian authorities)
- for non-EU nationals: a national passport 

In this case the Immigration Officer will not require a third country child in the group to hold a visa for the United Kingdom. 

Please note:
1) That these instructions solely apply to children attending primary and secondary schools, who are travelling on a school trip to the United Kingdom. In all other cases visa nationals require to obtain a visa before departure. Please be informed that children over the age of 18 are not qualified for the Third Country Schoolchildren facilities if they are not attending secondary school.
2) That non-EU nationals always have to carry their residence permits as well
3) That the “List of Travelers” may be photocopied as required. 


List of travellers

For school trips within the European Union

Name of school:
Address of school:
Purpose and length of trip:
Name(s) of accompanying teacher(s): 

The accuracy of data given in confirmed.
The guardians of under-age pupils have consented to their participation in the trip in each individual case. 

__________________ ___________________
Locality Date 

Official stamp Headmaster (mistress)
The accuracy of the data that follows on those travelling who are not nationals of a Member State of the EU is hereby confirmed. Travelers are authorized to re-enter (name of State)(*) 

__________________ ___________________
Locality Date 

Official stamp Aliens’ Department (Politiebureau) 

Serial number / Surname / First name / Place of birth / Date of birth / Nationality

Please note that the form cannot completely guarantee entry into the United Kingdom. It is used instead of a visa but even a visa does not completely guarantee entry into the UK. 

Immigration officials have the power to turn away visa holders. We also cannot guarantee that every immigration official will be aware of the scheme. It is the responsibility of each country’s immigration authorities to ensure their officials are fully trained and aware of any schemes such as this. However, we cannot guarantee that this has been done.

Please be informed that if the children are visa nationals and they do not qualify for the Third Country Schoolchildren facility, they need to apply for a visa: 

For information on Visitor (Child Visitor) visas please refer to the links below:

The UK Border Agency has a statutory duty to safeguard and promote the welfare of children. To issue a visa to a child under 18, the visa officer must be satisfied that adequate arrangements have been made for their care in the United Kingdom. This means that the application form must contain: 

o The full address where the child will be staying
o The name of the person who the child will be staying with
o The necessary signed consent forms from both parents
o The name and passport number of the person accompanying them to the UK. 


School officials, please note:

This arrangement was accepted by the Dutch and British border authorities. Transport companies (ferry, train, aircraft) may impose extra rules, so please check also with them before departure.